redevelopment and conversion of harbour buildings in Copenhagen

Gemini Residence, Islands Brygge, formerly silos for soya, converted to apartments by MVRDV and JJW Arkitekter

With the construction of new terminals for cruise ship and ferries to the north of the city and with the reduction in the size of the naval dockyards there has been an extensive redevelopment of the inner harbour in Copenhagen. The retention and conversion of some of the major dock buildings has required imagination and in many cases complex engineering solutions. Several of the buildings have been included in the exhibition Groundbreaking Constructions at the Danish Architecture Centre.

 

former cement silos and now Dansk Standard, Göteborg Plads, Nordhavn

now the Danish Design School of the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts

Vandflyverhangaren from 1921 remodelled in 2001 and now part of the Institute of Architecture and Culture

Customs House and ferry building designed by Kristoffer Nyrop Varming and completed in 1937 but now converted to restaurants and a jazz venue

The Silo now being converted from grain storage to apartments by COBE 

 

Torpedohallen, a former gunboat maintenance dock, converted to apartments by Tegnestuen Vandkunsten and completed in 2003

Internal view looking out south down the internal basin towards the canal

 

 

 

 

below:

the more traditional timber construction of the boat sheds immediately to the east of Torpedohallen converted by Henning Larsen Architects and Tegnestuen Vandkunsten